The Victorian Government has announced a new program to help reduce the cost of solar PV systems for up to 24,000 households in the state from 19 August 2018 to 30 June 2019.
The rebate will cover up to 50% of the cost of the system, up to $2,225 for eligible households. They equate this to 50% of an average 4kW solar panel system which sounds about right for a bare bones standard system. Premium systems can cost more and there are a lot of low quality systems available for less!
If re-elected, the Andrews Labor Government will expand the program to 650,000 homes from July next year and will allow households to install a solar panel system for half price and pay the rest of the cost back over four years with an interest-free loan.
To be eligible for the rebate, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Have a combined household income of less than $180,000 per annum before tax (base on the most recent tax assessment notices for home owners)
- Is an owner-occupier of a home valued at under $3,000,000 (a copy of a recent council rates notice will be required). Sorry renters, still nothing for you.
- The household does not already have a solar panel system installed.
- Chooses Clean Energy Council (CEC) approved products and uses a CEC accredited installer (all 3 Phase Solar products and installers are approved / accredited).
- Has had an eligible solar panel system installed on or after 19 August 2018.
- Engages an installer who can provide a statement that they have not received a WorkSafe infringement notice in the past three years.
Now is a great time to consider solar panels but you will need to be careful. When the cost of something becomes so cheap, the cowboys really come out to milk the system and risk the safety of those buying and installing. Remember the pink batts program?
The last eligibility criteria is an attempt to reduce the risks but is inadequate. Many solar companies pop up from the ashes of dodgy old ones and we expect to see many new companies pop up in response to this program offering “fantastic” deals.
The details on the program are light at the moment; to keep a track of any updates, check out the new agency Solar Victoria set up by the Government. Unlike the existing Federal Government incentives which you’ll usually see written up as an STC discount, this will be a rebate so will go directly to the home owner. That means you will need to fork out the full cost still but the rebate will come back to you.
Since you are getting up to a 50% rebate, you can afford to choose a company with a good reputation offering excellent products and service. You’ll only get one shot at the rebate so take your time researching and make the right investment in a system that will last 25 years. Or just make the quick decision to do it right and go with 3 Phase Solar.
If you’ve had a system installed since 19 August 2018, you can now apply for the rebate here: https://analytics-au.clickdimensions.com/cn/a7n4a/PostInstall_v4
If we installed the system for you, we will provide all the documentation required to claim your rebate with your system manual.